Wampanoag refuse chair's resignation, votes to remove immediately

Mashpee, Massachusetts (AP) 9-07

A tribal council seeking to build a $1 billion casino in the state voted to immediately remove its chairman after he acknowledged a rape conviction and that he lied about his military service.

Glenn Marshall, 57, met with the Mashpee Wampanoag tribal council and offered to resign effective in 30 days, but the council voted 9-1 to make his resignation effective immediately, said Greg D’Agostino, a spokesman for the tribe.

Vice chairman Shawn Hendricks, who presided over the meeting, became the chairman, D’Agostino said.
Marshall handed over his day-to-day duties to Hendricks on during late August after the 1981 rape conviction and military record lies were made public in a story in the Cape Cod Times.

“I hope we can unify and bring our tribe back together,” Hendricks told the Times after Monday’s meeting.

The tribe, with Marshall at the helm, won federal recognition this year and is trying to build the casino.

D’Agostino said the council met in executive session, then invited Marshall to join them. The council took its vote in an open session with about 45 tribe members present, he said. Council member Nellie Ramos cast the dissenting vote.

“Glenn is my cousin, I’m proud of what he’s done,” tribal member Anne Peters Brown told the Times as she stood in front of Marshall’s car outside the meeting.

After the vote, many of the onlookers headed to another meeting of tribe members nearby, the newspaper said, where some members had said they would bring up the issue of recalling the council. The meeting continued late into night.

The Times, citing its archives and court records, reported that Marshall was convicted of raping a 22-year-old visitor to Cape Cod. He was sentenced to five years, but served three months and was placed on probation, court records show.

During a congressional oversight hearing on the tribe’s request for federal recognition in 2004, Marshall testified he survived the siege of Khe Sahn, during which Marines fought back a 77-day onslaught by the North Vietnamese from January to April of 1968. Marshall made the same claim in a Cape Cod Times interview in 1998 and before a state gaming panel in 2002.

But during the siege, Marshall was still a senior in high school in Falmouth. School records confirm he graduated from Lawrence High School on June 9, 1968, a school spokeswoman said.

In a statement, Marshall said, “I am sorry to have distorted my record and to allow it to stand uncorrected.”

He also acknowledged the rape conviction in an interview with The Boston Globe published.

“It’s an apology to my family, tribe, and the Commonwealth,” Marshall said. “I could only ask that they could forgive me, because I’m not a bad person.”

The tribe will elect a new vice chairman in October. Marshall was in his second four-year term. The next scheduled election is 2008.

The Legislature still needs to approve expanded gambling before a full-scale casino can be built. Gov. Deval Patrick has said he would announce his gambling position around Labor Day.

D’Agostino said Hendricks was not available for further comment.